Located in University Circle, this building was built in 1924. The main sanctuary can seat 1900 under its gold dome. The history of this building includes the inspirational leadership of Rabbi Hillel Abba Silver who was instrumental in the establishment of the State of Israel in 1949.
The Gries Memorial Chapel was built in dedication to the memory of Rabbi Moses J. Gries who was the spiritual leader of The Temple from 1892-1917. This small sanctuary is used for many life-cycle events throughout the year. The chapel is lined with stained-glass windows created by Arthur Szyk illustrating the Crown of the Law, the Harp and Diadem of King David, the Tablet of the Ten Commandments, and the Lion of Judah.
Outside the Gries Chapel is located the War Service Alcove which was dedicated to the 776 men and woman of The Temple who served in the armed forces during World War II. Their names are recorded in the large War Memorial volume in the Alcove. Three more Arthur Szyk windows depicting three of Israel’s bravest warriors: Gideon, Samson and Judah the Maccabee, stand guard over the War Memorial volume.